7-A-Side Tournament 2010

This year's tournament was a great success with new winners emerging in the Premier Cup. 2009 finalists, Falvey's Bar from Killorglin defeated I.C. Photo in an extra-time encounter. Flemings Taxis got the better of The Castle Inn in the Reserve Cup and in the O35 final, McSorleys had too much firepower for The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant. See reports and photo gallery below for more!

U10 Final Killarney Wolves 1 The Lions 0

Despite the rainfall, the Killarney Athletic Killarney Credit Union Underage 7 A Side continued last night and today. In the U10 final, the Killarney Wolves defeated The Lions 1-0 after a pulsating final. Michael Lenihan claimed the winner from a free-kick which hit the top corner of the net just before half time. A very exciting second half followed but The Lions just could not get the equaliser.

U12 Final The Danone Squad 3 The Big Headers 1

The big game of the night, the U12 final, was a cracker. The Danone Squad were favourites after an impressive qualifying campaign but The Big Headers were in no mood to lie down. The game was even enough in the early stages but before long, Peter McCarthy had Danone in front with a fine strike for1-0. Despite chances for both sides, it remained so until the break. A good start from The Big Headers, driven on by Billy Courtney, was cut short by number two from the prolific Cathal O’ Shea. Danone looked to be in control but the big-hearted Dan O’Brien saw a gap and on a second attempt found the net to make it 2-1. The rest of the half was end to end but The Big Headers could find no way past the ubiquitous Daragh Moynihan, who kept them at bay time after time. Inevitably, Niall McCarthy made the victory safe with a fine chip over Mark Hartnett for a 3-1 win for Danone. Billy Courtney, Conor McCarthy, Peter McCarthy and Cathal O’ Shea were all in line for the honour but Player of the Tournament went to Daragh Moynihan for his versatility throughout the tournament.

U14 Final Tralee Boys 2 Cork Hygiene 1
In a clash of the towns, this game lived up to expectations and produced some great stuff despite the breezy conditions. Cork Hygiene began the livelier and had the early chances with Jordan Kiely to the fore, but they failed to convert. Paudie Clifford sent another over the bar but just when it looked at staying 0-0 at the break, the Tralee Boys won a free-kick. Up stepped Brian O’ Connell and with a looping ball, he found the net to send Tralee in one to the good at the break.
The second half began on an even keel, but when Jesse O’Sullivan collected the ball in the Cork Hygiene box and after a nice turn, side-footed to the back of the net, Tralee were in the driving seat. Cork Hygiene surely had enough talent to get back in the game though and Micheal Burns and Paudie Clifford gave it everything. Stand-in keeper Cian Kennedy showed good hands to keep them out however and the all-round impressive Roman Laucher ran things in midfield. Then, after a push in the box, Cork Hygiene pulled one back from the spot and it was all to play for. Donal Lyne and Daniel O’ Donoghue were curbing the threat of O’ Sullivan and sub Adam O’ Rourke but it was too little too late and Tralee held on for a deserved victory.
Reserve Cup Final Flemings Taxis 3 The Castle Inn 0
Competitive in the early stages, a Flemings side, resplendent in their bright yellow strip, always looked to have the upper hand and found the net when it mattered.
After a close opening spell, Jonathan Sparling and Tadhg O’ Keeffe showed well down the left for Flemings but it was The Castle had the best chance. Mikey O’ Connor took on the Flemings’ defence but with the goal at his mercy he shot wide. Following this, Jo Jo Fleming could only steer a half chance wide but with the young Stephen Devane showing well, Flemings took over. A free-kick from Alan “Soupie” O’ Brien eventually found Fleming who made no mistake this time.
Target man O’Connor, although carrying an injury, always looked a threat, but his effort was saved by safe-hands Hayes in the Flemings goal. The Castle were gaining momentum with Seán Sheehan full of running and Emmet O’Connor might have done better when he blasted wide after a cross from provider Mikey O’ Connor. Devane and Sparling threatened at the other end but it remained 1-0 to the Taxi men at half-time.
Early in the second half, Emmet O’Connor, Timmy Griffin and Martin Burke tried hard for The Castle Inn and Aidan Dowling had a handle on Fleming, but when Sparling hit the bar having been set up by the ever-alert Fleming, it looked only a matter of time before the inevitable happened. Up stepped the outstanding O’ Brien who buried it under the flailing Brendan Griffin. In fairness to Griffin it could have been more but for an otherwise solid display between the posts and he could do nothing about number three from Stephen Devane. The Castle led by Mike Lawlor, tried to salvage something, but O’Keeffe was unyielding at the back and so it ended with a deserving win for a jubilant Flemings side.
The second night of finals at the Killarney Athletic Killarney Credit Union 7-A-Side Tournament bought us the U16 and Over 35 finals and the main attraction, the Premier Cup Final.
U16 Final Four Star Pizza 2 No Name Club 1
It took extra time to divide the finalists in an intriguing U14 final. 4 Star had most of the play early on with Conor Keane and Cathal Sheahan showing well. James McCarrick tried hard to get the No Name Club into the game but it was Steve Griffin in goal who was essential in keeping them in it and he was required to deny both Scott O’Mahony and Niall O’ Riordan. At the other end, Evan O’ Doherty clipped one over the bar for No Name, before Jack O’ Neill had to be smart to block O’Riordan in front of goal. Then McCarrick tried to send in Mikey Coffey but his pass was a shade too long. Second time around, Coffey made no mistake and sent No Name into a half-time lead when he drove it home off the hand of 4 Star Pizza keeper Laurence Byrnes.
4 Star were full of intent in the second period and after a flowing move, O’Riordan looked to have equalised but his effort hit the side-netting. Gavin O’ Shea was coming into the game more and Diarmuid Galvin was unflappable in defence for 4 Star, laying a solid platform for the equaliser. Chris Fleming, Jack O’ Neill and Steve Griffin were all in good form at the back for No Name but the pressure told eventually, and after a mix up, O’ Mahony pounced to equalise. Keane, O’ Mahony and O’ Doherty all had chances to win it but extra-time beckoned.
Keane thought he had done it early in extra-time when his free-kick from close to the half-way line caught the wind and went all the way to the net. Ruled out as it was indirect, 4 Star pushed home their advantage. Keane would not be denied and sent a cool finish to the back of the net to claim victory for 4 Star. Overall, 4 Star had enough of the play to triumph fairly comfortably, but No Name left no stone unturned in seeking to deny them.
Man of the Match: Diarmuid Galvin. The Johnny Heffernan Underage Player of the Tournament: Gavin O’ Shea.
O35 Final McSorleys 4 Beaufort Bar & Restaurant 0
Billed as a “battle of wills”, this final saw an emergent McSorleys dominate a Beaufort side that never really got going. Early bursts from John Bowler and Martin Burke augured well for McSorleys. Number one came from Denis Doolan, up from defence, who nonchalantly slipped the ball past an unsighted Austin Rooney. Although Brendan Breen and Micheál Kissane were giving their all for Beaufort and they managed some half chances, the returning Peter O’ Leary was unyielding in goal for McSorleys and Burke was proving a constant thorn in their side. He put the eternally youthful John MacGillycuddy through on goal twice in quick succession and John Mac didn’t need to be asked twice, securing a 2-0 lead for McSorleys going into the break.
Beaufort started the second half with vigour and the ploy of using Gary McGrath as a target man looked promising. Brendan Breen made a great run and McGrath had a shot saved from a free-kick. However, with Seánie Culloty and Tony “Fabregas” Fagan slotting in well next to the indomitable Brian McCarthy, McSorleys could not be breached.
John Bowler re-entered the fray to claim their third and despite the best efforts of Rooney, Colin O’Sullivan finished it off with number four.
The early intent of McSorleys meant Beaufort never thrived and McSorleys had two influential performers in Martin Burke and John Bowler who gave them a solid platform for victory.
Man of the match: Brian McCarthy. Player of the Tournament: John Bowler.
Teams: McSorleys: Peter O’ Leary, Brian MacCarthy, Garrett Doolan, James Mannix, Colin O’ Sullivan, John Bowler, Sean Culloty, John MacGillycuddy, Martin Burke, Cathal O’ Grady, Tony Fagan, Denis Doolan. Managers: Garrett Doolan, Daniel Doonan. Beaufort: Austin Rooney, Jim Kennedy, Eoin Savage, Micheal Kissane, Cormac O’ Shea, Dermot O’ Meara, Donal O’ Sullivan, Brendan Breen , David Doyle, Raymond Breen, Gary Mc Grath, Ian O’ Shea.Team Manager: DD O Sullivan, Asst.coach: Francis Courtney.
Premier Final IC Photo 2 Falveys Bar 3
The main event of this year’s Killarney Athletic/ Killarney Credit Union 7-A-Side Tournament did not disappoint. The first half was a tepid affair however, with both sides seemingly sizing each other up and waiting for the other to slip up. As with most of their games, IC started the stronger but a contrast in styles soon emerged. IC lorded possession and tended to attempt to score from distance, while Falveys looked to pierce holes in the IC defence using their guile and experience. The skilful Dara O’ Sé along with Shane MacSweeney and Seán Costelloe probed away for Falveys, but Fionn Fitzgerald and Shane O’Neill, backed up by David Neeson in goal, were more than up to the task of keeping them out. Daithí Casey and Brendan Falvey had their share of the ball for IC but nothing could separate the sides in the first half of an hour’s football.
It took 11 minutes of the second half for IC Photo to carve out the opener. Fitzgerald took possession of a through ball from Donie Murphy and easily beat Tony Lyons in the Falveys’ goal. There was an immediate sense that IC would push on and convert more of their possession but this lasted a mere minute or two because Fitzgerald turned villain at the other end when he upended O’ Sé to give Falveys a penalty. Costelloe coverted for 1-1 and this time Falveys took the initiative with O’ Sé going close and substitute Paul O’ Connor shoring things up at the back. They didn’t bank on Casey though. He got on the end of a ball from the combative but driven Brendan Falvey and belying the deceptively languid style of his, he flicked the ball up and finished to the net with aplomb – 2-1 to IC. Almost inevitably, Falveys fought back and after an innocuous looking shot from MacSweeney was parried by Neeson, the ubiquitous Johnny Carey popped up to equalise at the far post – 2-2.
Falveys could sense victory now and Carey and O’ Sé applied their experience to win a corner. Veteran Paul Griffin picked out centre half Karl Falvey and his diving header found the net, 3-2 to last year's finalists. IC Photo did their utmost to secure an equalizer but Tony Lyons marshalled his men well to keep them out and the Killorglin men triumphed 3-2 in the end of what was a super contest right up to the final whistle.
Well done to both teams for some great entertainment!
Man of the Match: Johnny Carey (who was presented with a pair of Umbro Boots by John O’ Rourke of Umbro)
Player of the Tournament and winner of the Kieran Cahillane Senior Player of the Tournament Award: Shane O’ Neill.
Teams: IC Photo: David Neeson, Shane O’Neill, Donie Murphy, Daithi Casey, Ryan O’Carroll,.Brendan Falvey, John Falvey, Fionn Fitzgerald, Niall O’Connell, PJ Lawlor. Falveys: Dara O’ Sé, Johnny Carey, Karl Falvey, Ross Sheehan, Paul Griffin, Paul O'Connor, Danny O’Sullivan, Tony Lyons, Sean Costelloe, Shane McSweeney.
Thanks to all who participated in and supported the tournament by way of attendance or sponsorship. Since our first 7-a-side in 1977 the tournament has given endless hours of enjoyment and pleasure to a countless number of participants and supporters, and the club is indebted to all who have contributed to its popularity and success over the years. A particular word of thanks to: the many team sponsors, sign sponsors and of course the main sponsors, Killarney Credit Union; the F.A.I.(in the guise of the Kerry District League and the M.F.A.) for its support every year; our tournament organisers and all who have helped out every night to ensure a smooth running of the competition; all the local press and photographers and Radio Kerry for their extensive coverage of our games and our tournament referees who return year in, year out to officiate at our games.We hope to see you all again next year!



The thirty-fourth Killarney Credit Union Killarney Athletic 7 A Side kicked off on Monday night with a full complement of games down for decision. There were 1-0 wins for the Beaufort-bolstered RC Frames, long-running participants and former finalists Boolteen’s Buckos and John D’s Bar (over former winners Charlies Angels). The bulk of the public house representatives showed up well: The Lane Bar, Corkerys, Falvey’s (4-0) and The Laune all winning. IC Photos, MD O’ Sheas’s and Brazzer’s Boys added to the winners. The last two games ended in draws with Tatler Toffees drawing with Country Pork and Mecom Ltd.with the Star Bar. All in all, a competitive opening night.
Tuesday night was a night of goals. Wins for GMHD over Old Dogs (2-0), Iron Men FC over The Cones Experience (2-1), The Kerry Way backboned by a Ballyvourney contingent, The Bridge Bar (2-0) and the experienced Jades over last year’s winners The Beaufort Bar and Restaurant (3-1) sprung no real surprises. Mecom Ltd. had three to spare over MD O’ Sheas. Real So So Bad won 1-0 over Tony’s School of Motoring. A great clash ensued between Speakeasy and The Smokehouse ending in a 4-3 win for the latter. Teddy O’Connors had 3-1 win over The Castle Inn and IC Photo beat Brazzer’s Boys 2-1. Fleming’s Taxi and Dungeon Turkish Delight drew 1-1 The result and performance of the night has to go to the Killarney Heights though who pulverised Den Joes Killarney by 8 goals to nil, setting up a definite move into the premier knockout stages.
In Wednesday night’s action at the Killarney Credit Union 7 A Side Tournament, there were goals-a-plenty. The Failte put four past Mustang Sally’s (4-1); the Laune eked out a 2-1 victory over John D’s Bar to keep veteran Terry Cummins happy; Killarney Heights had a comfortable 3-1 win over Cows Blood Boys; former winners Charlie’s Angels put two past Killorglin Golf and Leisure (2-1); the Old Dogs were beaten 2-0 by the Kerry Eagles; there were One-Nil wins for Real So So Bad and Corkery’s Bar, over Tony’s School of Motoring and Galvin Murphy Hooper Dolan respectively; the Lane Bar had three goals to spare over Subway; Pat O’Neill’s Aquila Club AFC plundered Block’s Bricks for a 5-0 win; Jades had five to spare over The Kerry Way; but pride of place last night went to Falvey’s Thursday who claimed a massive 7-0!!! Wednesday Night Takeaway from Den Joes Killarney.
The last evening of the first week of the Killarney Credit Union 7 A Side Tournament threw up a surprise. On Pitch One, holders The Beaufort Bar, were put the sword by a goal to nil by a plucky Bridge Bar side. No surprises for The Tatler Toffees however as they demolished Tony’s school of Motoring 6-0, a hat-trick for Denis Galvin. Iron Mills FC and The Cones Experience put Mustang Sallys and The Failte respectively to the sword. The Aquila Club had two to spare over Danny’s Boys but manager Danny MacClure is still quietly confident of progressing to the Premier Knockout stages. Country Pork and Real So So Bad played out a 0-0 draw.

On Pitch Two, veterans PJ Lynch and Joe Joe Fleming did their best to set the tone for their teams, Block’s Bricks and Fleming’s Taxis, but the slick Smokehouse and tenacious Boolteen’s Buckos had too much for them. The Dungeon Turkish Delights will be delighted with their hard fought 1-0 win over Speakeasy despite Seán Ó Donoghue showing some touches of yore. In a competitive game, Squires got the better of RC Frames on a 2-1 scoreline.

The second week of Killarney Credit Union 7 A Side Tournament began with some over 35 action. Last year, the Vincent Casey Life and Pensions side (under the guise of Living Legends) managed a 2-1 win over Mackies Crew and will be confident in their abilities again this year. Mackies will be gunning for revenge though and with the likes of newly eligible Alan Brady in their ranks they have a chance. Falvey's are an eager bunch and must also be fancied, while McSorleys will need all their experience to put it up to these teams. Falvey’s Thursdays could be a dark horse. In round one, new boys McSorleys put up the best score with a 2-0 win over Vincent Casey L&P, while Falvey’s Thursday and Mackies Crew played out a 1-1 draw. In the regular competition, Brazzer’s Boys and Teddy O’ Connors drew 4-4 in a thriller, another draw between the Castle Inn and IC Photo. MD O’ Sheas beat The Star Bar 2-0. Boolteen’s Buckos used their 7 A Side experience to defeat the fancied Aquila Club 2-1. Jades progressed to the next stages with a very convincing 7-1 thrashing at the expense of The Bridge Bar. The Killarney Heights continued their 100% record with a 3-1 win over Falvey’s Bar, while Block’s Bricks went under to Danny’s Boys who now look a good bet for progression to the Premier knockout stages.
In Tuesday night’s Killarney Credit Union 7 A Side Tournament, teams made further inroads into reaching the next stages. In group “C”, Squires hit Subway for four and RC Frames needed just one to edge the group win from The Lane Bar. Group “F” saw Cows Blood Boys claim their first win to leave Den Joes rooted to the bottom and hoping for more from the Reserve Cup (6-2) (Killarney Heights with 3 wins and Falvey’s progress top of the group). There were draws between the top teams in group “G”, The Tatler Toffees and Real So So Bad (2-2), while Country Pork managed their first win, leaving Tony’s School of Motoring to edge towards the Reserve. The top teams in Group “I”, Dungeon Turkish Delights and Smoke House, drew 1-1 while The Speakeasy found form and had a 2-1 win over Fleming’s Taxi. The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant moved off the bottom of group “K” with a 3-1 win over The Kerry Way to secure entry to the Premier Cup and retain a chance of retaining the trophy (Jades went through on top of the group with the best 100% record in the competition). In Over 35 action, Falvey’s Thursdays secured their first win with a 3-0 defeat of The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant.
The group stages of the main section of Killarney Credit Union 7 A Side Tournament finished last night. On Pitch 1, The Failte looked very impressive in dispatching Iron Men FC 3-1. The Cones Experience put 5 (Andrew O’ Callaghan put aside his goalkeeping duties for one) past a gallant Mustangs Sally’s side for whom Frank Cronin scored a cracking consolation goal from a free-kick. In the battle of New Street, Charlies came out on top on a 2-1 scoreline. The first, from John B. O’Donoghue, was a sublime chip à la Messi and had O’Donoghue’s brother drooling on the sideline. Kieran Mainestone drew the teams level in the second half and despite the best efforts of Brian Cooper, a further goal from Ger Buckley ended it.

On Pitch 2, Dan Lenihans Super Six lost 3-2 to Mecom Lt d; Old Dogs drew 1-1 with Corkery’s Bar – Enda Prendergast crucially hitting his second of the night. John D’s Bar from Ballydesmond saw off Killorglin Golf Bar and Rest. 1-0 (goal from Patrick O’ Mahony, their top scorer) and Kerry Eagles put four past GMHD.

In O35 action, with only six players, Vincent Casey L & P were defeated 3-2 by Falvey’s Thursday despite the best efforts of the ageless Ger O’ Shea and Don Fennell. The winners’ scorers were Podge Dalton, Glen Owens and Leo O’ Connor. Enda Prendergast and Donncha Galvin got on the scoresheet for Vincent Casey’s.

The knockout stages of the tournament began last night. First, there were wins in the U16 competition for J&B King Builders, The Amigos and 4 Star Pizza, and U14 for Faha Utd and The Tralee Boys. Mc Sorleys and The Beaufort Bar drew 1-1 O35. In Premier action, on pitch 1, holders, The Beaufort Bar beat MD O’Shea 3-1; Charlies Angels beat J D’s Bar 3-1; GMHD ended The Failte’s hopes with a 2-1 win AET and Mecom Utd had one to spare over Dungeon Turkish Delights.
On Pitch 2, Boolteen’s Buckos let The Tatler Toffees back into it after taking a 2-0 lead and were happy to hear the final whistle with the Tatler improving all the time. Another extra time game saw Cows Blood Boys beat Brazzer’s Boys/ Julie’s Barber Shop 3-2. Corkery’s dumped the unbeaten Killarney Heights form the competition on a 1-0 scoreline. IC Photo had a 3-1 win over Teddy O’ Connor’s Bar to make their way into the ¼ finals.
In Tuesday’s action, The Cone Experience, Kerry Eagles, Falvey’s Bar, Squires, The Smokehouse, Danny’s Army and Country Pork progressed to the next round of the Premier competition.
In O35 action, The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant and Mackey’s Crew came out with wins. In U16 action J & B King Builders beat 4 Star Pizza, while No Name Club and The Amigos drew 1-1. U14, Marie’s Boys and Cork Hygiene beat Team Fredrick and Bally FC respectively.
Wednesday night’s Premier Cup action saw Jades beat Real So So Bad 3-1. Falvey’s ended the hopes of Danny’s Boys with a resounding 5-0 victory. Charlie’s Angels could find no more in the tank and were defeated 2-1 by Cow’s Blood Boys. IC Photo continued to give youth its fling with a 2-0 win over holders The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant. Corkery’s Bar progressed to the last eight with a 1-0 win over Country Pork. In the Reserve Cup, Killorglin Golf Club Bar & Rest ended the hopes of James Weldon and co. with a 1-0 win; Old Dogs kept up their momentum with a 3-1 defeat of Subway and Pa Howard will fancy their chances from now on; Den Joes Killarney exited at the hands of Tony’s School of Motoring who are improving with every game. In the O35 games, Vince Casey Life and Pensions and Falvey’s Thursday had 1-0 and 2-0 wins over Mackey’s Crew and McSorleys respectively.
Last night we had only 4 games but there was plenty of drama. In O35 action, Mackey’s Crew beat The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant on a 3-2 scoreline. In the Premier Cup, Squires and the Cone Experience could not be separated even after extra time. Eventually, Squires triumphed on penos. Kerry Eagles outscored Mecom Ltd 3-2 to also progress. In the single Reserve Cup game up for decision, Flemings Taxi counted on their experience to see off a gallant Mustang Sallys 3-2.

The ¼ finals of the Killarney Athletic Killarney Credit Union 7-A-Side Tournament the Premier kicked off on Monday. IC Photo eventually finished off a plucky Squires side 2-1 with goals from John Falvey and Donie Murphy. They must be considered the dark horses for glory at this stage with youth and exuberance on their side. Boolteens Buckos never recovered from a splendid Gerry Fitzgerald effort from well outside the box to go down 3-2 to Cow’s Blood Boys. The other goals came from Jason Culloty and John Foley, with Kieran Foley and John Foley replying for Boolteens. Corkery’s Bar continued their good form with a 2-0 defeat of Kerry Eagles. In the Reserve Cup, Tony’s School of Motoring continued their run of form with a 1-0 win over The Bridge Bar, Tony O’Sullivan himself leading by example. The Castle Inn’s 1-0 win over Killorglin Golf Bar & Restaurant came courtesy of top scorer Dowling who really is on top form these days.
McSorleys and The Beaufort Bar & Restaurant qualified for the 35 final with wins over Falveys Thursdays and Mackeys Crew respectively. McSorleys under the watchful eye of Dan Doonan, had John Bowler in fine form and his crashing shot off the bar was a sign of things to come. Their two first half goals came from Colin O’Sullivan and an o.g. and with Brian McCarthy commanding at the back, the deficit proved too much for an understrength Falveys who tried everything to pull one back.
The other game went to extra time and penalties after a pulsating clash. Frank O’ Reilly kept his side in it in extra time with his safe hands and Alan Brady hit the post at the other end but Beaufort had the experience of big games to call on and kept on until the end, eventually prevailing on penalties.
Also, in the U12 semi-finals there were wins for The Big Headers and the Danone Squad. Scorers for The Big Headers were Mark Hartnett (2), Mark O’Shea and the impressive Billy Courtney. Danone’s scorers were Mikey Moynihan, Stephen McCarthy, Cathal O’ Shea, David Spillane and the impressive Daragh Moynihan.
In Tuesday’s action, the fancied Jades surprisingly exited the tournament after a defeat to Falveys Bar, despite disposing of GMHD earlier in the evening. The long season may have caught up with them but Falveys will fancy their chances from now on. Old Dogs eased through to the semis with a 3-0 win over Dan Linehans’s Super 6 but Dan’s and Eoin Lawlor will be disappointed that they didn’t make more of their possession early in the game. A deflection after a shot by Enda Prendergast, a deft finish from James Murphy and a penalty from the ageless Alan Brady saw Justin Healy’s boys progress. Old Dogs will meet Fleming’s Taxi who dispatched The Star Bar 2-1.
In the U16 semi-finals, Four Star Pizza defeated The Knockout Kidz on penalties despite having the bare five. The pacey Niall O’ Riordan and the skilful Gavin O’ Shea were instrumental in Four Star’s victory. They will meet a youthful No Name Club side who saw off J&B King Builders 2-1.
The big game of the night, the U12 final, was a cracker. The Danone Squad were favourites after an impressive qualifying campaign but The Big Headers were in no mood to lie down. The game was even enough in the early stages but before long, Peter McCarthy had Danone in front with a fine strike for1-0. Despite chances for both sides, it remained so until the break. A good start from The Big Headers, driven on by Billy Courtney, was cut short by number two from the prolific Cathal O’ Shea. Danone looked to be in control but the big-hearted Dan O’Brien saw a gap and on a second attempt found the net to make it 2-1. The rest of the half was end to end but The Big Headers could find no way past the ubiquitous Daragh Moynihan, who kept them at bay time after time. Inevitably, Niall McCarthy made the victory safe with a fine chip over Mark Hartnett for a 3-1 win for Danone. Billy Courtney, Conor McCarthy, Peter McCarthy and Cathal O’ Shea were all in line for the honour but Player of the Tournament went to Daragh Moynihan for his versatility throughout the tournament.
On Wednesday night we had the U14, Reserve and Premier semi-finals.
The Tralee Boys had a facile victory over Marie’s Boys and will meet a Cork Hygiene side that ended a gallant Faha Utd’s hopes with a 4-0 victory. Micheál Burns (2), Jordan Kiely and Paudie Clifford were their scorers. The final will pit Killarney against Tralee and should match the U12 decider for quality.
In the Premier semi-finals, Corkerys put it up to IC Photo and it was stalemate for the first half. The pressure told in time and Shane O’ Neill took the opportunity to send IC into the lead from the spot. Corkerys never recovered from this and when the irrepressible Daithí Casey steered the ball to the net for number two, the game was effectively over as a contest.
Cow’s Blood Boys must have been confident after dispensing with Boolteens and on taking the lead through James Culloty early in their semi-final with Falveys, the final beckoned. They didn’t bank on the firepower of Falveys though. 3-1 up at the break, they plundered a total of five through a double from Shane MacSweeney and a Dara O’ Shea hat-trick. The final should not be missed!
Coincidentally, the Reserve Cup semis both went to penalties. In a rip-roaring encounter, Old Dogs shaded a tense first half, claiming most of the possession. Alan Brady, Denis O’ Neill and James Murphy all had chances to open the scoring for Old Dogs but Neilus Hayes and Alan “Soupie” O’ Brien kept them at bay. Joe Joe Fleming was also a threat for Flemings but Enda Prendergast and Pat “The Hatchet” Howard kept a tight rein on him. Extra-time couldn’t separate them and Flemings Taxis progressed after penos. The other semi pitted dark horses Tony’s School of Motoring against The Castle Inn. The dynamic Mikey O’ Connor gave The Castle a deserved lead despite the best efforts of Mark Bowe and for a long period they looked the better side. However, a sublime long pass from the lively Adam Mackowiak found Donal Brosnan who made no mistake and suddenly Tony’s, with the fiery Diarmuid O’ Sullivan in adamant form, looked to have the momentum. First, keeper Lee Yadine kept Tony’s in it with a fantastic double save before Mackowiak and Kieran O’ Halloran both hit the post at the other end. As in the other game, the sides couldn’t be separated in extra time and The Castle Inn progressed to the final after penalties.


[photosmash id=19]
[photosmash id=18]